Friday, October 10, 2008

Growing Up

Eli doesn't like sitting around. I was told that he would probably sit on his own before he'd start crawling, but I guess Eli is determined to be different. He can sit up for a little while, but he soon topples over. On the other hand, he has carpet burns from moving faster and faster across the room and into the next. We really have to watch him carefully. I think he'll learn how to sit from crawling rather than learning how to crawl from sitting because when he is in crawling position, he sometimes leans back far enough that he is nearly sitting on his own. Go figure!


He's also understanding cause and effect a little better. We have a mirror in his room on the floor against the wall. He used to lunge into the mirror all the time trying to get at the boy in the mirror. I tried to help him understand that he would never reach the boy and would only get hurt instead. I think he's finally catching on because he doesn't really lunge forward into the glass anymore, though he'll still stare and occasionally lick the mirror.


His form of communication has changed too. He still has high pitched squeals, but he has added deep guttural sounds, what we like to call "monster" noises. Just recently he has been showing off his command of specific sounds such as the "ga" sound in the letter g and the "ba" sound in the letter b. He also seems to understand some of what is being said. He will respond and turn his head when I call his name, and when I tell him I love him, he will get a sheepish grin on his face. The best is when he gives me a very tender look and makes a specific noise that he only makes when he's looking at me that way. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's as if he's saying I love you too.


Finally, he is sort of eating solid foods. We started with rice cereal, but he doesn't really seem to like it. He will eat bananas and carrots a little better, even though half still ends up on him rather than in him. That's all we've tried so far, but we will be adding others as we go along. I knew it would be a messy process, and I was right, but he does look really cute in his bib and high chair. He lets us know quite forcefully when he's sick of being in them. Remember the little baby Jack-Jack in the Disney movie The Incredibles? When Eli has had enough, he exhibits characteristics similar to Jack-Jack's superhero powers. He'll always be my angel, but he lets us know how he feels.

5 comments:

Tricia Bagley said...

Wow! Eli is sooo BIG! It is so amazing how fast they grow in their first year. Lincoln will be ONE next month, it's just insane. Eli is adorable. Most babies don't like the cereal to start out with but just keep feeding it to him, it's good for babies there's lots of vitamins in it. Try mixing in some bananas or other fruit he likes and that will help. I mean can you blame them for not liking rice cereal? It's so bland.

Seriously Stephanie you need to at least TRY reading Twilight. Don't judge the style of writing too harshly just enjoy the story. I love becoming obsessed with something every now and then. I have to admit though that I love Harry Potter, but Twilight is closer to my heart. Plus, Harry Potter is a bit depressing while Twilight has a moment or two but overall is a great 'Happy' story.

Have you ever looked at my other blog, Jane Austen Fan? I read books and post reviews about them. You might enjoy it because I read more than teen fiction. I'm on a Jane Austen kick right now and so I'm in search of good spin-offs. I found on awesome Austenish book called Austenland that I enjoyed alot. It's actually written by an LDS lady here in Salt Lake.

Have fun with your little boy and get lost in a good book!

Spencer and Mindy said...

I can't believe how Grown up Eli is looking! Holy Cow! He's a cutie and we can't wait to meet him in person at christmas time!


**And Yes you Must Read Twilight! They really are a Great series!

The Grames Clan said...

OK, so we've been trying to figure out who Eli looks like--he's such a good mix! Does he look like any of your brothers, Stephanie?

I can't believe he's making it to other rooms! You guys are in serious trouble :)! I wish we lived closer to you--I'm missing seeing my nephew get bigger. It would be so much fun to get the boys together and watch them explore. We miss all 3 of you guys!

P.S. Stephanie, I know this isn't going to sit well with a lot of people, but I got half way through Twilight and just couldn't stomach it. I know. . there's something wrong with me ;), but I don't get all the hype.

On another note, I did read that Austenland, though, and thought that was a fun read.

Marci said...

I can't believe how big Eli is! He keeps getting cuter :-)!

Josh and Stephanie said...

Yes, Eli is getting big. However, I do have one question. What size does your baby have to be to even be included in just the 50th percentile? Eli is in the 15th for weight, which I have no problem with. I'm just curious to know how big some of these babies are out there. I don't know, maybe you are all referring to his height, in which case he is in the 80th percentile.

To answer your question, Tana, at times he seems to look like my brother, Nephi, but I think that's just because of some of his goofy expressions (my brother has them too) :) Overall, I think he's just a mix of my family and yours.

Okay, for all you Twilight fans out there, I ordered the book, and it's on its way, along with Austenland. I'll let you know what I think about both. I just have to say that I'm very much against doing things that are trendy, so I have done this very hesitantly. It is nice to know, however, that there is another female to back me up in case I don't like Twilight. Actually, my bishop would agree with Tana, but he's not female, so he doesn't count.