Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pulling the Plug



It came a little earlier than planned, but Eli made his own diagnosis. He decided he was ready to pull the plug...or so he thought, anyway. It actually happened on Wednesday night when I was at a Relief Society meeting (formerly known as enrichment). I came home to a crying child who was up much later than he should have been. Josh said Eli couldn't sleep because he had thrown his binky in the garbage.

The day before, Eli had been complaining about his binkies because he had bitten holes through both of them. I told him we weren't buying him any more binkies, so he used them for a little longer, but eventually he couldn't take it anymore. The joy was gone. On Wednesday night Eli came out of his bedroom and told his dad that his binky was garbage. Josh asked him if he wanted to throw it away, and he apparently marched to the trash can and threw it away. Twice. I guess when Eli couldn't sleep, Josh got his binky out of the trash and offered to clean it for him, but Eli took it and threw it away again. He keeps asking for it every time I put him down for a nap or bedtime, and I keep reminding him what he did with it. Sometimes he's quiet and stares as he remembers what he did. Other times he actually starts clapping because he knows that getting rid of his binky is one more step to becoming a big boy.

Still, getting him to sleep has not been a fun task these last few days. The first night he woke up at 3 AM and threw a tantrum for 45 minutes. Josh and I were at a loss. Our son was an addict, and he was going through a CRAZY withdrawal. We've never seen him do what he did that night. It's been better since, but we are still a little short on sleep around here. What else is new, right? Actually, he's been sleeping so well for about 2 1/2 months now that I almost forgot what it's like to lose sleep at night...........ALMOST.

Anyway, I hope this passes quickly because his Grandma Pratt is coming in a week to babysit him for 5 days. We were going to wait until she left, but Eli made the choice. Now Grandma Pratt has to deal with no binky AND potty training, which we're also in the middle of right now (Eli initiated that too). I'll blog about that later. Good luck, Mom Pratt! Are you sure you still want to come?

1 comment:

Tricia Bagley said...

It looks like Eli is having a bit more difficulty than Lincoln. He's asked for his plug a couple of times each day but he lays right down for his nap. He did cry last night when he went down for bed but it only lasted 3 minutes. I'm actually REALLY surprised!