Saturday, April 2, 2011

Eli Orson Pratt, Big Boy, Now 3-Years-Old

The title is in reference to what Eli tells people when they ask what his name is or how old he is.  He always says, "I'm Eli Orson Pratt, big boy, only two, almost three."  After his birthday yesterday, I told him he's going to have to take out the "only two" part.  He's working on it. :-)

He asked for a strawberry Peter Pan cake, so I did the best I could considering that Peter Pan is one of Disney's vaulted movies and there isn't a lot of easily available (and affordable) stuff out there.  There's a lot of Tinkerbell, but Eli is more interested in Peter Pan, Wendy, and Captain Hook.  Fortunately, he doesn't care about professionalism, and he loved it!

Eli kept begging to open his presents all day, and considering his age, I'd say he did a pretty good job at being patient.  However, we did turn around as we were preparing to light the candles on the cake to see him unexpectedly ripping the paper off one of his gifts.  There's only so long a three-year-old can wait. 

Just as he tells everyone, he is definitely becoming a big boy.  He now uses the big potty by himself.  He identifies letters and sounds, and he can count at least ten objects.  His memory is very good (or maybe I just think that because mine is getting worse).  He remembers the minutest details of both movies and books, and he consistently reminds me of things that I tell him.  He figures out most anything that's supposed to be childproof (yes, I know, he's a walking accident waiting to happen).  If he really concentrates, he can dress himself.  He knows how to answer a telephone, and he will sustain a pretty good conversation with you if he's in the mood.  He knows how to get what he wants without crying, and he's very good with his manners.  He's doing much better at sharing and playing nicely with others.  Though he is still messy when he eats, he is doing much better.  He does a pretty good job throwing a ball overhand.  He can ride his tricycle all by himself.  And, of course, there is so much more that I'm not including.  He is my big boy, and I love him so much.  How grateful I am that the Lord let him become part of our family!







4 comments:

Toni Nielson said...

Happy Birthday Eli! I thought of him (and you) all day yesterday. His present is belated but has been sent. Hope he likes. Cake looks excellent! I love the pic of him eating it. I had to laugh at the "catching him unexpectantly opening the present." What a cutie!

Spencer and Mindy said...

the cake looks awesome!! and eli is just a cutie! hope he had a great birthday!!

Tricia Bagley said...

Wow! I can't believe Eli is 3!!! He's so cute! I love the cake, it's super cute! Don't worry about owning a home, sometimes I think we never will but there's more important things in life than owning a home. I have in-laws that bought a house in a shady neighborhood because they HAD to own a house. Well, a year later they already don't like where they live. If you rent there's no problem, you can just move!

Sue said...

I can't believe how much Eli has changed in just a few months!! We miss all of you so much!!
You did a fantastic job on the cake!! Wish we could have been there to share it!!!