Monday, March 18, 2013

Vacation Part 1: DISNEYLAND

We got back last week from a two destination vacation.  The first destination was California.  Since Eli's birthday is coming up on April 1st, we decided to take him to Disneyland and California Adventure.  We had a BLAST!  None of us had ever been to California Adventure, and it had been a long time since either Josh or I had been to Disneyland. 

The weather was GREAT, much to my delight.  I think that was what I was praying for the most.  The first day was absolutely perfect weather.  The second day was a little colder and overcast but still great park weather. 

Though Disneyland will always be crowded, I would say that it was probably fairly minimal compared to other times of the year.  Most rides didn't have too long of a wait.  We waited the longest for Dumbo and the Cars ride. 

Eli didn't like the ones that were too fast.  Surprisingly, he didn't mind it if it was high as long as it wasn't too fast.  He rode the jellyfish ride in California Adventure three times (it goes high and then drops you slowly).  And he couldn't wait to get on Mickey's Fun Wheel (ferris wheel), but he was crying at the end of the Cars ride because your car races another car, and it was just too fast for him.  He also hated Splash Mountain, which I can't blame him because I also don't like the steep drop at the end that soaks everyone (but he saw the steep drop before he got on it, so he knew what he was getting himself into...technically).  That was one of Josh's favorites though, probably because it was one of the few thrill-type rides that he got to go on with Eli and me.  Many of the fast ones he went on by himself because Eli either couldn't or didn't want to go (and a couple of them I didn't really want to try either).  I guess Eli is his mother's son. 

However, we all went together on the majority of the rides thanks to Eli being a tall four-year-old.  Yeah for height.  We were exhausted by the time we were done, but we had TONS of fun!  

Both Josh and I were hesitant to ride the teacups because we have discovered that as we get older, we don't do so well with lots of spinning.  I went alone with Eli, and thankfully it wasn't too bad.

Eli loved the Dumbo ride and wanted to ride it again, but we waited the longest for that ride in Disneyland, so once was all he got.

Eli's excited face just before entering It's a Small World

The Jedi training was absolutely one of Eli's favorites at Disneyland.  He got to choose one gift while we were there, and he chose a lightsaber.  It's funny because he's never even seen Star Wars.

The jellyfish ride that he rode three times in California Adventure


Eli loved the Redwood Challenge Trail in California Adventure.  It's based on the movie Up, and the kids do different challenges to get the senior wilderness badge at the end.  We seriously spent lots of time here, and I was ready to leave well before Eli.  He took his badge to preschool when we got home so he could show his teacher.

Dug the talking dog from Up

Cars Land was pretty cool.  Radiator Springs was set up just like it was in the movie.

This is the Cars ride that Eli ended up crying on at the end.  The first part is mild as you take a tour through various parts of the movie.  Josh and I loved the race at the end though, even if Eli didn't--definitely a favorite of mine.



The World of Color show at California Adventure was awesome.  I definitely recommend seeing it!

No comments: