Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Birthday to Remember

Yesterday we celebrated Josh's 35th birthday.  Unfortunately, it wasn't all cakes and gifts, and I'm sure it's not a birthday Josh is soon to forget.

We decided to have Eli's twin cousins come over for a couple of days.  Eli and the twins are only three weeks apart, and Eli loves spending time with them.  Anyway, Eli was wanting to go to the beach, so we were going to do it on Friday while Josh was at work, and then we'd have a dinner celebration in the evening.  Unfortunately, on our way to the beach, we got in a car accident.  A guy decided to suddenly skateboard across the street in heavy traffic (well, heavy for Aberdeen--there are always a lot of people headed to the beach on weekends).  The woman in front of me had to suddenly put on her brakes, and I rammed into her from behind.  It happened so quickly; all I can remember is the inflating airbags and the feeling that I couldn't breathe.  Since I had never been in a major accident before, I had no idea that when the airbags inflate, they emit terrible fumes.  Eli started screaming and telling me that he couldn't breathe.  I was trying to open the door, but the front bumper dented back so badly that I couldn't open my door very wide.  Fortunately, there were people that immediately stopped and opened the back doors and got the boys out.  They were all okay except for some minor scrapes where the seat belt rubbed against the neck.  I ended up with a couple of bad bruises, but that was it.  I was very grateful we were okay.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the car.  I guess we will be purchasing a new vehicle that we weren't planning on doing for a little while. 

Still, we did get to celebrate Josh's birthday that night.  We enjoyed a tasty dinner (stuffed poblanos) and a raspberry cream cheese pie, which is what he wanted instead of cake.  I am very grateful for Josh and all that he does and who he is.  I hope he has a wonderful 35th year in spite of its beginning.  

(Sorry about the light from the window blinds.)  Eli likes to make bead necklaces, and though he usually makes them for me, he didn't want to leave his dad out, so Eli made Josh a necklace for his birthday (just in case you were wondering about his accessories). :-)

2 comments:

Spencer and Mindy said...

wow! yikes not the way you wanted to spend a birthday..but very grateful that you all were ok. **Happy B-day Josh, you get a New Car! ;)

bronwyn and toni said...

Sorry about the accident. That is scary and terrible. Hope the bruises are mending and everyone is well.