Tuesday, September 3, 2013

August Travels, Part 1

We were out of town for at least half the month of August, and we had tons of fun.  In fact, we took so many pictures, it's hard to know which ones to post.  Our travels took us through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, and California, and you wouldn't know our new car is only a month old given the amount of miles it has on it already! 

We first traveled to Utah at the beginning of the month.  Josh's sister Megan and her husband Matt had fraternal twins (boy and girl) in June, so we drove out for the babies' blessings.  While we were there, we not only got to see Josh's family, but mine as well.  We stayed three nights with my brother Spencer and his family.  Then we stayed one night with my brother Nephi and his family. 

On the way home we stopped at Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument in Idaho, and then we drove around the Fruit Loop in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon.  We picked tons of peaches, which I turned into jam, sorbet, and cobbler.

This is Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon.

While in Utah, we went to the Eccles Dinosaur Park in Ogden.  Here, Eli is pretending to be a paleontologist and uncover a dinosaur egg.

Here are the new parents and their twins.  We took a small hike up to a waterfall near Farmington where Matt and Megan live.

We went to Red Butte Gardens with Spencer, Mindy, Sophee, and Logan.  The kids played in the water and fed the ducks and had a good time.

Eli adores his cousin Sophee and told me he is going to marry her when he grows up.  :-)

Eli is playing with his cousin Dieter and finding it necessary to "instruct" him in the way things are.  Aren't five-year-olds great at knowing everything, or is it just mine? :-)

Here we are with my brother Nephi and his son Dieter.  We let Aubrey take the picture since she insisted she didn't look good enough to be in the picture (she was pregnant at the time, though now she has delivered).  
Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures on the way home.  I guess we were just having too much fun and forgot about the camera.  Josh's sister Tana and her kids traveled home part of the way with us and accompanied us to the Fossil Beds visitors center and Eli rode part of the way with them.  He would much rather be with his cousins in their car than with us in ours and wishes he could have done it the whole way.  Poor Tana had her five kids plus Eli in her car.  I turned to Josh and said, "Isn't there something wrong with this picture?  Shouldn't we be taking one of her kids instead of giving her ours?"  But in truth, our car wasn't as much fun. :-) 

1 comment:

Portneuf said...

You guys are funny. its not a trip for you unless there is a hike in there, right? I used to be that way but now with my feet. The hike we did at Lake Quinault sure has been a bummer for me. Its not your fault so don't go saying, its your fault. I lost my big toe-nail on my left foot. Well, I haven't lost it yet, but will. Its been so hard to get the old nail out. I have gotten infection in it several times, and I have had to lance it 4 times. I've never had one so bad. I am tired of it so I am thinking of going to the podiatrist and have him do some minor surgery on it to get it out so the new one can come in. It is my diabetes that has contributed to the problem. There just was too much up and down for me. I'm okay on flat surfaces or fairly flat, but when I go up and down, just the way my big toe is, it rubs against my shoes and causes the problem. I had issues with this even when I was younger. I will be glad when it heals. If it doesn't they are going to put me in a hyper-baric chamber. Claustrophobic on those things. Its a bummer. I will forever remember Lake Quinault hike.