Thursday, April 3, 2014

Six Years Old!

My little boy keeps growing up.  Eli turned six a couple of days ago.  For past birthdays, we've just celebrated with family, but this year we threw him a birthday party where he invited his friends as well.  Wow!  It takes a lot of energy to plan, prepare, and put on a birthday party!  I'm glad I haven't been doing this every year.  I told him he can have another one in six more years. :-)

Eli wanted his birthday party to be lego-themed, so I've had nothing but legos on my brain for the past two weeks.  At least the kids had a blast.  They played lego games, built with legos, ate lego-shaped cake, etc.  And now Eli's stash of building/construction sets is quite large (at least in my opinion for one little boy).

Lego decorated snacks and birthday banner

I had this going a little differently in my mind, but it still turned out okay.

Josh and Eli helped decorate for the party.

Emmet from The Lego Movie.  Do you like our 12 year old TV?


In this game they had to pass the lego sculpture around and add a piece to it.  Music was playing while they did it, and when the music stopped, whoever was holding the lego sculpture was out.  You can see the lego toss game in the background against the wall.  That was another game that they played, trying to toss the lego piece into the lego head decorated jars or the bigger colored baskets.

The kids loved this one!  They had to suck through a straw to pick up the lego pieces and move them across the room.

Once the legos were on the other side, they had to see which team built the tallest tower.

This was the favor bag.  You can't really see in this picture, but the yellow buttermints had lego head faces drawn on them.  They also got to take home their own lego creations from another game in which they each had a bag of legos to build something.  Prizes were given to the most creative and best looking creations.

We had his birthday party this past Saturday, and his actual birthday was on Tuesday.  Tuesday was low-key in comparison to Saturday, but I did have a little bit of leftover unfrosted cake that I had put in the freezer.  I turned it into a miniature ice cream cake so that he had at least something on his actual birthday.  I think that's another reason why I don't like to do friend birthday parties.  They usually have to be held on Saturday in order for the kids to be able to come.  I like to do the celebrating on the actual birthday, so parties bother me a little.  I know, I'm weird.  I'm sure Eli didn't care one bit.  He had tons of fun!

This is the small cake he had on his actual birthday.

They gave him a birthday crown and sticker at school.

Here's a quick little birthday anecdote.  We were eating dinner, and Eli commented that now that he's six, he knows everything.  I laughed and said, "No, you don't."  He said, "Yes, I do, except I don't know what you're thinking."  Picking a random multiplication equation, I said, "You don't know what five times six is."  He was quiet for about 10 seconds.  Then he said, "thirty."  I stared at him.  Really?  I didn't think he knew that.  Both Josh and I had a good laugh over it, and Eli still thinks he knows everything. :-)

2 comments:

Spencer and Mindy said...

Happy Birthday Eli! I always think of him on his birthday, because I have another Nephew (who likes to do April Fools pranks for his birthday) who shares his special day. Your Decorating and Cake and games look amazing, you did a great job! I have a Love/Hate relationship with 'friend' parties as well. Looks like Eli had a WONDERFUL birthday! We Love you! And can't wait to see you

bronwyn and toni said...

The full on party is soooo much work! You did an awesome job. Good work mommy. :) Eli is getting so big. Six. Wow. I know you feel the same.