Tuesday, September 13, 2011

...And We're Back

Back in Houston.  Back online.  ALMOST back in the swing of things.  The past month has been busy and crazy.

Josh had his last day at the Albuquerque Veterans Hospital on the 12th of August, and we left Albuquerque on the 15th.  Moving out went smoothly this time.  Instead of being three days behind schedule, we were only three hours behind.  After what happened trying to get out of Houston and move to Albuquerque, I count that a great success.  Not only that, but we left with a graduate who had a diploma on its way in the mail.  Finally!  It's funny how an 11 x 14 piece of paper can bring such relief.  Congratulations, Josh!  Now we're looking forward to that other piece of paper that we hope to get by the end of the school year.

Though he didn't walk, here's the official grad picture.
The diploma was too large for the scanner, so this is only some of it.
We took a different route back to Houston.  We went down through Carlsbad and then on over through San Antonio.  Though we've been to San Antonio several times, we had never been to Carlsbad, so we took the opportunity to see the caverns.  They were amazing.  We really enjoyed seeing them.  Eli was so quiet and subdued while we went through the main room.  He whispered the entire time because he didn't want to disturb the sleeping bats.  He wanted to see some, but we were only there in the morning, and we had to explain how they sleep during the day and come out at night.







Unfortunately, though our move-out went smoothly, our move-in did not.  That's why it's taken me this long to blog about the experience.  We just got our internet installed on Friday night.  It took three weeks for them to come and install it; it's never taken that long before.  In the meantime, we had problem after problem with repairs and cleaning, etc., but I won't bore myself  (or you ;-) ) with the details.  Needless to say, I hope I don't have to move for a while...at least nine months. :-)

I had a birthday somewhere in between all of this. :-)
 As for the verdict of whether it's great to be back in Houston or not...well, besides the issues we had with moving in (and moving out for that matter), it is good to be back.  We're in the same ward, and though it's crazy how much it's changed in just four months, it's nice to know so many people.  We live in a different area, but the places are still the same.  Though I've heard many negative comments about Houston over the years, it's been a great home...humidity, hurricanes, and all...well, maybe not the cockroaches. :-)  Having said that, however, we really did like Albuquerque (especially having a house and garage), and I'm sure I would have felt the same way about it after living there for six years.  So, as cliche as it is, I guess home truly is where the heart is...and for me, that's with my husband and my son.      

2 comments:

Spencer and Mindy said...

it is always good to feel at home where ever You {and your family} are. yay for being home!

CONGRATS to Josh for graduating!! wahoo!! what a great accomplishment!

bronwyn and toni said...

yeah that you have the internet again! glad to see the update. :) hope you are settling in.