First, I will say that we have moved a number of times during our marriage, but this one gave the biggest to-do list, hands down. There are just so many things you have to put in order when you move across state lines. Even though we moved to Albuquerque a few summers ago, it was so temporary that we didn't have to make as many changes, though the actually cleaning and moving part was much more difficult. Since we knew that Josh would be graduating and we would be moving, we kept a lot of things in boxes when we moved back to Houston. I also downsized and scrubbed and cleaned and did so much when we moved in because of the condition of the place that when we moved out, it was fairly easy. It also helped that Josh had to fly back to Houston for a week to finish up his work, so while he was there alone, he finished up any cleaning and loose ends that were needed.
I got the flu a week before we moved, so that was complete torture packing when all I wanted to do was go to bed and sleep. But as happens, I got over it, and we were blessed to find out that we could all ride in the moving truck. We thought it was illegal to have Eli in the front seat of the truck; plus, when we moved to and from Albuquerque, there were only two seats anyway. When we picked up the truck this time, we discovered there were three seats, and after talking with some people in our ward and doing some research online, we discovered that we could put Eli in the truck. It's not the safest and most ideal way to travel, so it is discouraged, but it was legal in all states that we passed through. We got the truck on Saturday and packed most of it. On Monday we called to add a tow to the truck so we could tow our car. We got out of Houston a little later than planned, but I was so grateful that I didn't have to drive the whole way alone with Eli, and Josh was so grateful to have us in the truck with him. Honestly, with me being so tired from the flu, I don't know how I would have made the drive. I even had to ride in the middle (Eli wasn't allowed to ride in the middle, and his airbag had to be turned off), so I was cramped and a little sore by the end, but I was still incredibly thankful to be with Josh.
We knew it would be a long drive, but until you do it, you don't realize just how long it is. Somehow, though, it was made shorter by being together in one vehicle. The first day we drove from Houston to Ft. Stockton, TX. The second day we made it to Cortez, CO. The third day we drove to my brother Nephi's home in Logan, UT. We got a break on the fourth day because we spent Thanksgiving day with him and his family. We had a great time and delicious food. Thank you so much Nephi and Aubrey! The fifth day we drove from Logan to Kelso, WA. This day was incredibly long, and I would not recommend it, especially since we ran into a crazy rainstorm through the Columbia River Gorge, and it was dark. The roads were barely visible, and it made me feel claustrophobic. I was grateful to get out of there.
On the sixth day we had a short drive to Aberdeen (about an hour and a half or so), and we had help unloading from our new ward members. Even some neighbors came to help. It was the quickest move-in we have ever experienced. Plus, Josh's parents came and helped and brought us lunch. It was great!
I had to take Josh up to the Sea-Tac Airport a couple days later because he had to go back to Houston to finish up work, so Eli and I were alone here for the first week. At least I was busy unpacking and putting our home together, but poor Josh was there in Houston in an empty apartment for a week. To make things worse, he missed his flight out of Houston to come back here and had to sleep overnight at George Bush Airport. Then when he came back, he had to start a new job, so there was no time for rest.
But we are settling in now and enjoying the Christmas season. The house is not completely put together, but there's not much left to do. Eli insisted I put up Christmas decorations first, so the tree was up before most of the bedrooms were unpacked. I've had a lot of distractions with it being the holidays (not the best time of year to move), but I've never been one to put a house together in a week anyway. Since we have a bigger place than we're used to, we lack some furniture. For example, we have both a living room and a family room, but we only have one couch. Currently our family room has a TV in it but no couch. We also have a dining room area as well as a breakfast nook, so we have an empty dining room area since our table is in the breakfast nook. But we are just enjoying the space. Having a yard is great, though we also don't have anything to take care of the yard because we've never needed that stuff before. Fortunately our neighbor let Josh borrow some of his stuff. He also goes fishing a lot on the many rivers that are here, so he brought us back some salmon.
People weren't joking when they said it rains here a lot. Fortunately we had done our research and came mentally prepared. Still, it rains almost everyday. Sometimes the sun peeks out for a little while, but then it gets cloudy and rainy again. It gets dark here very early too. Eli asked me the other day, "Why is it already getting dark, Mom. Is it nighttime again?" :-) That has been an adjustment for us all coming from Houston, land of sunshine. I guess we have summer to look forward to, though. It doesn't get dark until about 10 PM or so.
I am also adjusting to the shopping. When I go to the grocery store, my jaw drops at the prices. I knew things would be more expensive, but it will still take some time to get used to. Actually, some people in the ward have given me tips on where to shop, which has been helpful.
I have to get used to driving to get to things as well. We actually live in a community of homes called Central Park. Since the closest stores are mostly in Aberdeen or some in Montesano, we have a little drive to get to stores. If we want to go where there is major shopping, we have to drive to Olympia, which is 45 minutes from our house. Josh is in heaven though because there are all kinds of state parks and outdoor activities around here.
We have enjoyed a few activities already. The town of Montesano, which is about 10 minutes from our home, has a festival of lights every year. They put on a parade and have a number of events. We took Eli to a puppet show that he enjoyed, and he loved the lighted concrete mixer that was in the parade.
We went out to Ocean Shores, which is the town right on the beach. It's about half an hour from where we live. The waves were HUGE. It was also very COLD. It should be fun to go there in the summer though.
Eli is now in preschool. In Houston, the options for preschool were not options I particularly liked. I either had to pay a lot of money or put him in school all day. At four years old, I just don't think that's what he needs. Here I have the option of sending him for two days a week for two and a half hours each day. I can handle that, and it was something he wanted to do. He enjoys it and has made some new friends. Since they don't have playgroup in this ward as they did in Houston, preschool will be good for him. It was a little difficult for me on his first day, however. He looked like such a big boy, and I realized I will be sending him to kindergarten in less than a year.
Here are some pictures:
| Eli's first day of preschool |
| Eli's favorite thing in the parade |
| Eli helping Josh rake the front yard in the rain |
| Eli freezing at the beach |
| Eli wanted me to make a candy wreath for Christmas |
| Our decorated Christmas tree and mantel. |


2 comments:
yay! so glad you made it safely and that you've finally posted about it! :) I can't believe Eli and Sophee are old enough to go to PreSchool! :( when did this happen?? we are registering sophee in Jan. so she'll start soon too.
Your home looks AMAZING, I'm jealous of all your space! Love that Eli wanted you to decorate very first! :) he's a cutie!
Miss you sis. Love the post. Your little man is getting so big. Glad you are settling in.
Post a Comment